Preview: The #6th ranked Florida State Seminoles take on the Savannah State Tigers at 6pm ET in Tallahassee, Florida. The Florida State Seminoles are more than a 70 point favorite to win this game. For Florida State, who is garnering attention as a national title contender, more important than “who you play”, is” how you play”. Look for Florida State to use this game to build a lot of depth. Look for Savannah State to play with more pride than they did last week against Oklahoma State.
Plans for the live blog: I will be blogging comments and insight throughout the game, as it develops. Your comments and feedback are welcomed. You can also tweet me your comments to @BarristerBoss.
* TE #33 Kevin Haplea starting at Tight End for the Noles. He’s a transfer from Penn State.
* Touchdown on the 2nd play of the drive for the FSU Seminoles. EJ Manuel with a bomb to senior wideout Rodney Smith. 7-0 Noles.
* Noles force 3 and out on Savannah State’s first possession. Bjoern Werner logs his 5th sack of the season. Cant see Noles starters lasting past the 1st quarter.
* Fun fact: This game was originally scheduled to be against #8 ranked West Virginia. They bought their way out of this game, as they are moving to the Big 12. ESPN reporting FSU talked to 70 schools before they agreed to play Savannah State.
* Two posessions, two touchdowns for FSU. 14-0 with 11:51 remaining in the 1st quarter. They may cover the 70 point spread after all!
* Rained all day in Tallahassee. FSU just wants to get out of here with no injuries. Clemson in 2 weeks.
* Chris Thompson, coming of a season ending back injury, is running very strong. Will be a key for Noles offensive attack this season.
* Greg Dent with a touchdown catch for FSU. Three possessions, three touchdowns. 8:53 remaining in the 1st quarter.
* Savannah State taking shots downfield. Not able to connect yet, but looks like they have a chance to make a play in the passing game tonight.
* 6-6 WR Kelvin Benjamin catches a fade route from EJ Manuel for a Noles TD. Lots of hype around Benjamin. Lots! Noles 28-0. 7:57 left in the 1st.
* FSU’s offensive line is much improved this year. Has been their achilles heel over the past few seasons.
* FSU offense slowing the pace a bit. Savannah State’s defensive trying to keep things in front of them.
* SSU got a good pass rush. Flushed EJ out of the pocket. Still got a 1st down. Positives are few and far between for our friends from Georgia.
* 5th touchdown of the 1st Quarter for FSU. Running Back Devonta Freeman bangs it up in there for a TD run. 35-0. :49 to go in the 1st.
* FSU’s 2nd string defense in to begin the 2nd quarter. SSU get’s first 1st down of the game.
* Savannah State really allowing the FSU corners to get some quality reps. Deep balls on almost every play.
* New QB for FSU. Clint Trickett. EJ’s night is done.
* FSU RB Devonta Freeman making nice plays in space here in the 2nd. Lots of backups getting reps. Clint Trickett, as usual, looks sharp!
* James Wilder Jr. scores on a long run for the Noles. Powerful back gives the Noles a lot of versatility. 42-0. 10:06 remaining in the 2nd quarter.
* FSU DE Georgio Newberry, one of injured All-American Brandon Jenkins backups, making a great rush off the edge to force a punt.
* FSU has a lot of talented football players. That is all.
* James Wilder Jr. with his second touchdown of the night. Scored two last week verses Murray State. I’m beginning to wonder just how embarrassing this will get.
* FSU kicker Dustin Hopkins misses the extra point, ends long streak of consecutive makes. 48-0. FSU.
* Dustin Hopkins made field goal streak ends at 145.
* Savannah State goes to the wildcat offense. Rips off a big run against the FSU backups.
* Announcers just praying for Savannah State to make it to midfield. Probably wont happen tonight.
* FSU searching for a punt returner to replace dismissed senior Greg Reid. Have tried three different punt returners tonight.
* Play now delayed because lightning is within 8 miles of the stadium…we’ll stand by to see what happens.
* Hearing the game will resume at about 8pm, per twitter. New time is 8:15. Again, per twitter.
* Play has resumed in Tally. Running clock for the rest of the game. 10 minute halftime. Bizzare game from the score to the new rules. Score is 48-0.
* Running clock. SSU starts with possession. Fumble. FSU recovers.
* 3rd string QB Jacob Coker in for FSU. Getting very deep on the depth chart tonight.
* I’m in midseason form by the way. Loving every second even in a blowout. Maybe it’s because I’m watching my Noles.
* Kelvin Benjamin scores his 2nd TD of the night. This guy is big and physical. 6-6, 240 and can run and go get the ball. He looks to be the real deal, Holyfield.
* Score now 55-0, FSU.
* All freshman on the FSU D line right now. Most part of that #1 recruiting class.
* ANOTHER lightning delay in Tallahassee. Standing by…
* ESPN reporthing the game has been called. Waiting for official word from FSU.
* Game officially called. FSU wins 55-0. Goodnight.